mold removal

Is DIY Mold Removal Safe?

When it comes to mold removal, there are very few times when it is actually safe to handle mold on your own. The thing is that mold can be hazardous to breathe. On top of that, it’s very hard to remove if you don’t know exactly what you are doing.

Check out these reasons that DIY mold removal is probably not a great idea.

What if You Miss Some?

The mold that you need to get rid of might not all be in one spot. It’s also possible that mold can be hidden and you don’t realize it. While you can clearly see some mold damage, it’s very possible that there is damage you can’t pinpoint at a glance.

The truth is that mold spores are very small. While they do combine together to create large damage areas, they can also spread out, and you might not see it. That mold could have traveled behind the baseboards or trim. It could even be in a nearby air vent or the room on the other side of the wall.

DIY Mold Removal Might Make it Worse

Another reason that DIY mold removal can be a bad idea is that you could unwittingly cause it to spread further. Just as mold spores are tiny and like to hide, they also like to jump around. Think about it like this. You cut out a piece of sheetrock with mold on it. You then carry that through four other rooms in your home to get it outside. You dispose of that immediate threat.

But what if, on the way from the affected area to the outside, you were actually dropping mold spores all over your home? In this case, you just spread mold to several other rooms that were safe before.

Health Risks

Trying to remove mold on your own could cause serious health risks. Professionals have to be certified to handle mold, particularly black mold. Breathing in those mold spores can cause you some serious health issues. Even if it isn’t black mold, your health can still suffer from breathing in the spores.

Mold removal should always be handled with the appropriate equipment to keep it contained and to protect the handler from breathing in spores that could find their way into the handler’s lungs. Is that a risk you’re willing to take?

Not as Easy as it Looks

If you do a quick internet search, you will find plenty of guides and tips for DIY mold removal. The thing is, most of those cases are incredibly minimal. They are also most likely written by individuals who don’t understand the extent of mold damage and how it should be safely handled.

Removing mold can be overwhelming. No two situations are exactly the same. It’s a tough job to know you are doing it right and that you’re getting all of the mold.

Professional Mold Removal

If you or someone you know is dealing with mold damage, give Redeeming Restoration a call. Our team is certified and trained in safe and efficient mold removal. Don’t put your home or your health at risk.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Call Now! (315) 335-6235 Call Now! (315) 335-6235